Do you aspire to explore the world on your own wheels? While you were unstoppable when on the wheels on Indian roads, a foreign land may not accept your Indian driving license without a legal and necessary permit. Most of the countries have the facility of giving a car or two-wheeler on rent but only after you show them an International driving permit.
If you wish to drive abroad you must apply for an International Driver’s Permit or an International Driving License. A valid International DL can be used for driving two-wheelers as well.
What is an International Driving License or International Driving Permit?
IDP or International DL is a document that is approved by the UN/United Nations and is issued to vacationers travelling to foreign countries permitting them to drive in the foreign land. It is nothing but a translation of your own Indian driving license into the language which is acceptable and understandable by a foreign authority. International DL states that you are a valid DL holder and are fit to drive.
The validity of an IDP or International DL is mostly a year from the date of its issue, after which it expires. To know more visit https://www.acko.com/driving-license/international-driving-license
Eligibility to get International Driving License
Not everyone can get an International DL. Though various countries may levy a different fee to issue IDL, but most of the countries hold a similar eligibility criterion that includes:
- The applicant should be above 18 years of age.
- The applicant should possess a valid Driving license.
- The applicant should submit the required official form which must be issued by the concerned authority along with the 3 passport-sized photographs.
- Only Indian citizens can apply for the International DL through an Indian transport authority.
Process to Apply for an International Driving License
It is not so cumbersome to get an International DL. The individual must specify which country he wishes to drive in to apply for an international DL. This will provide the driver a driving license permit in that particular country only. The process of application for International DL is as below:
- To apply for an International DL, the applicant must visit the nearest RTO of his city
- Ask for the Form for the Issue of International Driving Permit or Form 4.
- The applicant must carry all the required documents
- The applicant must pay a fee to get International DL
- The International DL will be issued to the applicant after a complete processing of his application. This process can take 3 to 4 working days or more.
International Driving License Form details
The Form for the Issue of International Driving Permit or Form 4 will require you to fill in the following details:
- The full name of the applicant
- The address of the applicant
- Driving License number
- The country which the applicant is travelling
The list of documents required for International Driving License:
The applicants need to submit the following list of documents along with the Form 4 or Form for the Issue of International Driving Permit as mentioned below:
- A copy of his valid driver’s license
- A copy of passport and visa
- The copy of air tickets
- A compulsory medical certificate as required and stated in the application form.
- Application fee of Rs. 500/-(The fees have been revised for IDL in Jan’17 from Rs. 500/- to Rs. 1000/-)
- 5 passport sized photographs
- A citizenship certificate or certified proof of Indian citizenship.
- A copy of address proof.
- A copy of age proof.
Renewal of International Driving License
An International DL is normally valid for a year and IDL cannot be renewed.